Music, Society, Philosophy, Technology, Design, Art, Film and Coffee
• I play a TM Custom tenor saxophone designed by Randy Jones at Tenor Madness This horn is really special to me and I can't say enough great things about Randy.
• I studied with Greg Banaszak and Bob Reynolds I learned so much from these two guys.
• I manage Guitar Center in West Des Moines. My fourteen-year-old-self can't believe that I work at a music store.
• I was a member of Corey Taylor’s Junk Beer Kidnap Band in 2009. Yes, it was really cool.
• I taught at Muskingum College, Ohio University-Zanesville, Kent State, Hiram College, Cincinnati School for the Creative and Performing Arts, College of Mount St. Joseph, South-Western Community College and Central College between the years of 1997 to 2008. It was a very special time in my life. I'm thankful for having the opportunity to teach.
Journal entry from 10/10/2011
I said something to my saxophone teacher today that I thought would be worth sharing. I was discussing this past month’s practicing and what I’ve learned and without trying to say something clever, I said:
“…I need to play like I’m not trying but I need to practice trying everyday.”
I wish I had some patience. I get so excited recording and everything sounds cool in the moment but a day later, I hear everything. Everything that could have been better. Everything that I shouldn’t have shared. That’s kind of me in a nutshell: heart on my sleeve. Everything good and bad. I hope the listener sorts it out. The positive spin on all of this is; if I didn’t put it out, I wouldn’t have a reason to try harder next time. So, with that said; I’m going to go practice.
A big part of practicing is setting down your horn and going out and hearing some live music. Go get your batteries charged this week.